The National Science Library is the largest library in Georgia. Founded in 2006, it succeeds the Library of the National Academy of Science (1941) and the National Technical Library (1965). In 2012 it became part of the Tbilisi State University and is now a national cultural hub located in the heart of the Georgian capital. The National Science Library stores up to 4 million science and fiction printed books, including rare old books and scientific editions in Georgian, Russian and other languages, as well as modern scientific literature.
Together with printed content, the library offers its members a wide range of open electronic infrastructures: an open-source online library catalogue based on Koha (open-source integrated library system) (since 2012), openjournals.ge, an OJS (Open Journals System) based platform bringing together 45 Georgian journals (since 2015), openlibrary.ge a DSpace-based (Open Source System) repository of non-scientific resources such as monographs, books, manuscripts and maps (since 2016), openscience.ge, a DSpace CRIS-based first open source and open access library repository of scientific works in Georgia, containing research profiles of scientists and scientific publications, publication records plus master and PhD theses (2018).
The increased reliance on remote access during the pandemic and the predominant use of electronic publications persuaded the library to enrich its e-book collection with an ambitious digitisation project which includes also rare old books.
Read the full story published on eapconnect.eu
Funded by the European Union, EaPConnect is part of the European initiative EU4Digital. The project aims to unite the research and education communities of the EU and the Eastern partner countries, as well as reduce the digital divide.